Maybe one of the greatest spirituell teachers of our time is Eckhart Tolle.
Eckhart Tolle was born on February 16, 1948 in Germany. His youth was full of anxiety and despair. In his twenties he had serious thougths of committing suicide. In other words he was really depressed.
When he was 29 years old he had a profound experience that changed his life forever over a night. His anxieties and bad thoughts had build-up over the day and during the night it was so horrible that he couldn’t sleep. His psychological pain became more and more intense. Until suddenly everything became total silent. He then fell asleep.
The next day when he woke up everything was different. The negative and depressing voice in his head was gone. It was total silent. He heard the birds outside and he looked out of the window. The colours felt so much more intense, the songs from the birds was so beautiful. It was like everything felt much stronger, more intense and beautiful. Like if his life was in black and white colour before and now it was in strong intense colours.
Following this experience Eckhart began to dig deeper into the spiritual world. He spent many years just sitting on benches in “a state of bliss”. He was homeless in periods. After some years he began to guide people in spiritual mathers.
As a natural step he began to write down his beliefs and thoughts on paper. He has written quite many books:
- The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment 1999
- Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from The Power of Now 2001
- Stillness Speaks: Whispers of Now 2003
- A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose 2005
- Milton’s Secret: An Adventure of Discovery through Then, When, and The Power of Now 2008
- Oneness With All Life: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth 2008
- Guardians of Being 2009